Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gosnell Trial: A Very Uncomfortable Reflection



Normally how my blog posts work is I write them in Adoration, and then think about them a little bit more before I post them. I had originally written one on hope, but last night I felt like God was calling me to write about the Gosnell trial. At youth group earlier that night, I had spoken with many girls about how happy we were that Gosnell was found guilty, as well as how horrified we were at the atrocities he committed. We are all very passionate about life and God’s creations, so naturally this topic struck very close to our hearts. We were also celebrating the feast day of Our Lady of Fatima, so it was a great day, like Catholic Memes depicts:





When I got home, I decided to read the article about Gosnell’s conviction. The first one that popped up in Google search was one by the New York Times. As I began to read it, however, my smile faded because of this line “Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty when the trial moves into the sentencing phase next Tuesday” (Hurdle and Gabriel). I reread this line over and over and could not believe it. They want the death penalty as the sentence for a case over the violation of the right to life? Why would that be right? Does that make us any better than him? This led me to a very uncomfortable reflection. I firmly believe that what Gosnell did was indescribably horrible and sinister, and that he was justly convicted. I do not believe, however, that the death penalty is the answer. We do not have the right to dictate the value of life, whether that life be innocent and young or sinful and old. Those babies that Gosnell murdered were creations of God, but at the same time so is Gosnell. As Catholics, we believe the death penalty is wrong. In Evangelium vitae, Blessed Pope John Paul II addresses this issue, explaining that the death penalty is unnecessary, and it is very rare that a case would be justified to do so. In order to be justified, the case would have to entail that the only way to protect human society would be to kill the criminal. Therefore, this is extremely rare. There is no need to kill Gosnell in order to protect human society. If he is sentenced to life, then he will be in prison, and therefore unable to inflict harm on another baby. Gosnell is also approaching the end of his life at age 72. My hope for him is that in his time in prison his heart will be converted and transformed. I pray that he is able to see his sinfulness and that he will repent. I pray that he will come to know Jesus, and that through this he will live his last days as a vessel of light and love of the Lord. If he is sentenced to death, he will die in darkness and in sin, which I really do not want to see happen to anyone, even a criminal. As the Bible says in Luke 15:7 “I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” Think about how much joy there would be if Gosnell, who has fallen deep into darkness and sin, had the chance to repent and convert his heart to Jesus. He will not be able to do that if he is put to death, but if he is put away for life, he will have the opportunity to do so. As Catholics, we are pro-life. Pro-life encompasses more than just babies, but all creations of God, including convicted criminals. I ask that you all join me in prayer that Gosnell’s life will be spared by being sentenced to life in prison, and that he will come to know God’s love and forgiveness.



Keep praying for the right to life for ALL,

Your Sister In Christ,

Dani

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thoughts when I saw they were going to be going for the death penalty.... What's really sad is to see all the "pro-lifers" that are pushing for it as well.

    ReplyDelete